St. John Valley Times
Connecting the Can-Am - Adventure on Deboullie Mountain

By Shawn Romanoski , Director of Radio Operations State of Maine Office of Information Technology

ST. JOHN VALLEY - On Wednesday, Feb. 25, during preparations for the Can-Am race, the only repeater capable of providing the necessary coverage ceased operating. As the radio system is the primary emergency channel for the race, .it was critical to get this back in operation prior to the Can-Am event.

The Deboullie Mountain repeater is located in the north Maine woods and is the most northern repeater in the State of Maine Department of Conservation radio communications system. DOC is a key player in the 250 mile Can-Am Crown International Sled Dog Races.

At 5:20 p.m., the Radio Operations staff within the State of Maine Office of Information Technology was notified that the system had failed. With the assistance of Ranger Lance Martin, contact was made with an aviation company in Fort Kent to schedule an early fly-by of the repeater site to check for a trail into the site and to verify that the solar panels were not visibly damaged or covered with snow. The report came back as: (1) no trails within 20 miles, (2) panels have no visible indication that would prevent operation, (3) antenna was in place, and (4) no signs of building damage.

Based on the report, the only transportation into the site was by helicopter Radio Services Director Shawn Romanoski requested the Huey helicopter from the Department of Conservation's' Maine Forest' Service fly three technicians to the difficult to maneuver site. John Covert, Mike Clary and Travis Swaim prepared a complete package

to replace all equipment and antennas if necessary. Due to the weather conditions, the technicians were advised to take enough equipment to spend the night in the event the helicopter was not able to return before sunset.

The technicians departed Old Town airport with pilots Chris Blackie and Shawn Rogers in Huey 945 at 11:30 a.m. and arrived at the site a little over an hour later. The deep snow left no access to the landing. zone, SO the pilots made several passes to determine the safest location to hover while the crew unloaded. The pilots made contact with the surface of the snow and maintained a hover while the technicians and equipment were cleared from beneath the rotors.

The technicians broke trails and shoveled their way into the communications site to discover the voltage regulator had failed. Tests were done on the battery system, the antenna and cable system, and the radio. All was operational with the exception of the voltage regulator, this was replaced and functional checks were performed. One hour after arriving at the site, the team listed the site as operational and requested via the Deboullie repeater for a pick-up by helicopter the team arrived back at the Old Town airport at approximately 4:30 p.m.

Thanks to the quick response from the SOM Information Technology Radio Operations staff, the 250 mile Irving Woodlands Can-Am Crown International Sled Dog Race events proceeded with an infrastructure that ensured the safety of the participants.